Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Gluten Free Amish Molasses Cookies

Wow the holiday season is sooo busy! It's like everyone has parties on the same days.. we're working harder, spending more, getting less sleep and eating a TON of awesome food! It's crazy, but I love it! On Saturday my friend Claudia and I spent the day exploring Amish country around Lancaster. It was a beautiful day for it! We stopped in a ton of little shops; antique places, quilt places, candy stores, bakeries, and old-fashioned country style restaurants. It was nice:)

After saying goodbye to Claudia, I settled into my kitchen and browsed through the Amish Cookie Book I picked up earlier in the day. These Molasses cookies were chosen for their ease and classic holiday flavor. I used Bob's GF Baking mix for these and they came out great! Make sure they're cooked through though. The first small batch I baked came out a bit doughy:( Also, feel free to throw in a little ginger and/or walnuts to spice it up. That's what I'm going to do the next time with these;)

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (make sure it's GF)
  • 1/4 pound light brown sugar
  • 2 cups dark molasses
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 3 cups gluten free baking flour
  • 1/2 tblsp baking soda

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Cream the vegetable shortening and brown sugar.
  3. Mix in the molasses and buttermilk
  4. Stir in the flour and baking soda until fully incorporated
  5. Using a 1-inch ice-cream scooper (or a spoon), drop dollops onto greased or non-stick cookie sheet about an inch or so apart.
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
  7. Transfer to cooling racks and get your cup of milk ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment