Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Gluten Free Hulled Hemp Seed Crisps

Every so often I get a package in the mail, chock-full of gluten free goodies to test out.  For example, I recently received an array of GF snacks from Kays Naturals.  I had a great time testing their products out, and discovered a few favorites (I'll be posting a product review on Kays soon). If you've been reading this blog, then you know how often I use Bob's Red Mill products.  It's no secret that I love their products.  Once they realized what a big fan I am, they began sending me goodies to try and experiment with.

One day I received a bag of Hulled Hemp Seeds.  At first, I had no idea how I was going to use them, but after doing a couple of Google searches, I had a few ideas.  This following recipe is my first experiment using Hemp Seeds in a recipe.  Hemp seeds are actually really good for you.  As stated on the Bob's Red Mill website, "Hulled hemp seed is high in Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids, and an excellent source of protein containing all of the essential amino acids."  Of course, being the sweet-tooth that I am, I had to begin my hemp seed experimentation by whipping up some cookies.  However, in the future I plan to incorporate them in breads, muffins, and possibly as a crunchy breading for fish or chicken.

These cookies were super-yummy!  They were a bit crumbly, but melt-in-your mouth delicious. Enjoy!

Next post: Chongqing Flashback Part 1

Prep Time: 5-ish minutes
Baking Time: 10-15 minutes depending on your oven

Ingredients:

Baking Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Lightly grease a cookie sheet and set aside (I used cooking spray)
  3. Mix together the brown sugar, large egg and butter in a bowl.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the GF flour, cinnamon, and shelled hemp seeds.
  5. Mix together the dry and wet ingredients until fully incorporated.
  6. Spoon mixture onto cookies sheets.  Leave about 3 inches between each drop since they spread out!
  7. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the edges are crispy. Cooking time depends on the oven being used, so keep an eye on them.  You don't want to burn these sweet treats!
  8. Grab a mug of soy, rice or cow milk and chow down:)

No comments:

Post a Comment